Whether you’re looking for a new bedtime story for your child or a book to take on your next holiday, we’ve rounded up some of our favourites for LGBTQ+ Families. No matter what kind of family you are (or are thinking about having!), all these books have something interesting to offer.
LGBTQ+ Family Planning Books For Children
- Love Makes A Family: A beautifully illustrated book showing diverse family structures including two mums, two dads, one parent or one of each! Great for toddlers and children up to age 5.
- Heather Has Two Mummies: This story tells of a little girl named Heather who is asked at school about her daddy for the first time. Though Heather doesn’t have a daddy, she discovers through a family portraits assignment in class that not one family looks the same and the most important thing you can have at home is love. Perfect for ages 5-7.
- What Makes a Baby: An awesome book that explains conception to kids in a way that is completely inclusive and gender neutral. This book is especially great for kids with trans or gay parents but is an amazing book for any parent who wants to explain where babies come from.
- Me, Mummy, and Mum: This book tells a story about a family without illustrating the differences between families. It is simply a story about a boy, who happens to have two mums.
LGBTQ+ Family Planning Books For Parents
- The Ultimate Pregnancy Guide for Lesbians: One of the original queer pregnancy books, this is a great introductory guide for lesbian moms-to-be covering everything from pre-conception to newborn care. It offers a comprehensive look at choosing a sperm bank, fertility and childbirth options, and legal rights for lesbian moms.
- Confessions of the Other Mother: Many reviewers have praised this as “essential” reading for couples navigating a pregnancy where one mother is carrying, and the other mother is not. This book covers a broad range of topics related to same-sex conception and parenting, including infertility, emotional issues, parental roles, and the legalese of 2nd parent adoption.
- The Other Mother: a memoir for ALL parents (not the smug ones): A honest and ridiculously funny look at life as a new mum from the perspective of a stand-up comedian who is navigating the world of same-sex parenting.
- Pride and Joy: A Guide for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Trans Parents: An upbeat point of view on family building from people going through it. Stories told from different family perspectives within the LGBTQIA community. A great read for both prospective and current parents.
- And Baby Makes More: Known Donors, Queer Parents, and Our Unexpected Families: A diverse compilation of first-hand accounts from women and couples who have used a Known/Directed Donor or surrogate to expand their families. This unique book shares experiences both positive and negative (but mostly positive!) and offers a ton of general insight into building a family with a Known Donor.
- The Big Fat Activity Book for Pregnant People: A fun colouring and journaling book for expecting mums. Enjoy a good laugh with this one!